Pages

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Political Portraits


'Papa Doc, Haiti' was published in Status Magazine, New York, November 1968. Pen, wash & watercolour. Reprinted in Ronald Searle: In Perspective, 1983. The original was stolen.


Another drawing attacking military dictatorship in Paraguay.  HOLIDAY magazine, April 1969

Nikita Khrushchev in New York, 1960 
pencil, pen and brown ink and watercolour
Holiday Magazine, New York, 1960.


PUNCH magazine 14th September 1960




Searle captured Churchill orating at the Guildhall, Cambridge & even managed to get the great man to sign the drawing.






Winston Churchill on the way out 
'Ronald Searle/Punch Dec 1954 -'

 Punch April 18, 1956

In 1955 Searle was at the House of Commons to record Churchill's last speech. LIFE magazine


Génèrale de Gaulle




The Saturday Evening Post Feb 10, 1968







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making this blog. I had seen a lot of Searle's stuff in my life now and than, but it was not till now that I have really noticed and seen everyhting I admire about cartooning and art in one artist. I must find more of his work. Thank you again.

donnachada said...

Yes, I completely agree. This is fantastic Matt. Thanks so much foor putting this together. This will be a constant sourse of inspiration. I haven't seen a lot of these. Really appreciate you putting it together.

Bruce Cushman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruce Cushman said...

Great blog Matt. I first saw Searle's work in Punch in 1957 when I was stationed with the USAF in Norfolk. I corresponded with him and he graciously sent me an original drawing which still hangs proudly on my wall. I purchased a number of his books from Perpetua Books (including the Rake's Progress) and they all came with his autograph inside.His work lives on thanks to you!




Matt Jones said...

Thanks Bruce! Any chance you could send me a photo of your original for the website?